Hello, summer! It was nearly 90 degrees here in nyc yesterday. (Maybe Al Gore was on to something, eh?) As someone who is allergic to the sun, sweats like a monster, and attracts any mosquito in a mile radius, I’m not too keen on summer. The one thing that makes all the seasonal discomfort worth it? THE GRILL.
Here’s a super quick, yummy, healthy recipe for Hawaiian turkey burgers. I think I’ve mentioned before just how much I love pineapple, so this is definitely my favorite kind of turkey burger 😉
For the burgers:
-1 lb ground turkey
-1/2 half red bell pepper, finely diced
-1/2 half small yellow onion, finely chopped
-1 clove garlic, minced
-1/4 cup bread crumbs
-3-4 tbsp teriyaki sauce
-salt and pepper
1. Throw all together in a bowl and mush with your fingers. If it feels too dry, add more teriyaki sauce. If mixture feels too wet, add more bread crumbs.
2. Smoosh together into a big ball. Then, divide ball in half. Then, half it again so you have 4 even sized patties.
3. Grill for 6-7 minutes on each side on a medium-high grill.
-1 avocado, sliced
-1 pineapple, sliced into rings and grilled
-1/4 cup bbq sauce mixed with 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1. Cut off pineapple top and bottom.
2. Stand up and slice off skin.
3. Use a corer to remove center.
4. Turn on side and slice into 1/2 inch thick rings.
5. Grill for about 1-2 minutes per side.
Top bun with turkey burger, then pineapple, teriyaki bbq sauce, and avocado slices.
I grilled up some sweet potatoes on the side, which is highly recommended. Wrap the little suckers in foil and toss on the grill for an hour or so. Check out this steamy shot: